IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, be they refugees, displaced persons or other uprooted people.
The IOM Constitution gives explicit recognition to the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement of persons.
IOM works in the four broad areas of migration management: migration and development, facilitating migration, regulating migration, and addressing forced migration.
Regarding migration and development, IOM has, in the past, conducted the following activity:
- Migration for Development in the Western Balkans (MIDWEB)
Activites related to the facilitation of migration include:
- Labour migration
- Family reunification
IOM’s also carries out many projects in the area of regulating migration:
- Assisted Voluntary Return and Reintegration (AVRR)
- Counter-trafficking of Human Beings (THB)
- Unaccompanied Migrant Children (UMC)
- Immigration and Border Management (IBM)
- Data Collection and Management
- Movements Support
- Distribution of Non-Food Items
Finally, IOM carries out projects related to forced migration: